When you look around the levantine sea on a map, you will see that it’s bordered by Turkey in the north, Syria, Lebanon, Israel, and Gaza Strip in the east, Egypt and Libya in the south, and the Aegean Sea in the northwest. The largest Island in the levantine sea is Cyprus.
Fun Facts about Levantine Sea
The levantine sea covers about 120,000 sq mi in land area, and it has a full depth of 14,383 ft. The northern part of the levantine sea is called the Cilician sea which is located between Cyprus and Turkey.
The population of the people living around the levantine sea are mostly into fishing and minning after the discovery of gas field in the area in 2010.
The levantine sea is an interesting area to know about because it is very rich in history and educative. These facts are just some of the things one will find interesting about the sea and how it is connected to the Red sea.
Listed below are just some of the things you will find interesting about the levantine sea.
- The deepest part of the levantine sea is called the Pliny trench. It is about 14,383 ft deep and is located at 50 miles to the southern part of the Crete.
- The northern part of the levantine sea is called the Cilician sea
- The red sea and the levantine sea are connected by the Suez canal, and it was built in 1869. The water in the red sea is higher than the eastern Mediterranean sea, so the seuz canal pours water from the red sea into the mediterranean sea.
- The water in the levantine sea is very salty because there is not enough freshwater flow. This is because of Aswan high Dam, that was built in the 1960 across the Nile river. The Dam caused a reduction in the flow of freshwater into the levantine sea. This caused the people living around the levantine sea to be importing sardine fisheries, and the it also increased the availability of Red sea species.
- Lessepsian migration is called the increase in Red sea specie in the levantine sea.
- In 2010, there was the discovery of the levantine gas field in the levantine basin. It is the largest gas field offshore discovery in the last 10 years.
- It is approximated that the gas field discoverd can last the country of Israel for the next 40 years. The gas field will start working in the year 2019.
- The levantine sea is located in the eastern part of the mediterranean sea.
- There are two large bays in the northern part of the levantine sea
- The gulf of iskenderun is located in the northeast of the levantine sea
- The gulf of Antalya is located in the northwest of the levantine sea
- The levantine gas field is located in the area under the levantine basin in south-east part of the mediterranean.
Few questions and answers about the levantine sea
Question: What is the largest Island in the levantine sea?
Question: What is the northern part of the levantine sea called?
Answer: Cilician sea
Question: What is the deepest part of the levantine sea called? And what is the depth?
Answer: Pliny trench. 14,383 ft.
Question: What are the countries that surrounds the levantine sea?
Answer: Turkey in the north, Syria, Lebanon, Israel, and Gaza Strip in the east. Egypt and Libya in the south. The Aegean Sea in the northwest.
Question: In which year is the gas field located under the levantine basin discovered?
Question: What is the name of the canal that connects the Red sea and the levantine sea?
Answer: The Suez canal