The Laccadive Sea is a body of water surrounding India, the maldavies, and Sri Lanka. The west part of Kerala is where the laccadive sea is located. When going around the sea, you will find some cities like Male, Alappuzha, Quilon, Colombo, Kochi, and Trivandrum.
Laccadive sea is a good habitat for fish. Most of the people living around the sea like fishing as their day to day occupation. There are about 2,500 to 6,000 tonnes of fishes caught every year from the sea. Most of the fishes are tuna and sharks.
Knowing the laccadive sea, there are many things about it you will find interesting, educative, and knowledgeable.
Laccadive Sea Facts for Kids
- The laccadive sea has a very normal temperature of about 27 degrees celsius in the summer, and about 24 degrees celsius in the winter. It is very stable temperature throughout the year for living.
- The salt level of the laccadive sea in the north and center part is 34%, while in the south side is 35%.
- In the laccadive sea, especially the lakshadweep Islands, there are lots of coral reefs. In fact, it was researched that there are over 105 coral species.
- The surface area of the laccadive sea is about 303,500 sq mi. 6,329 ft is the medium depth, and 13,3553 ft is the full depth.
- About 5,000 tonnes of fishes are caught at the lakshawdeep Islands every year.
- There are over 3,600 species of flora and fauna in the gulf of mannar. Also, there are several other dominant species like coral which has over 105 species, 108 sponges, 441 fin fishes, 260 mollusks, 79 crustaceans, 17 mangroves, and 147 seaweed species.
- Walking around the sides of the laccadive sea is sandy. But the deeper areas of the sea is covered in silt (mud)
- In 1986, the gulf of mannar marine national park is decleared, and it contains 21 Islands, and the size of the land and water area is about 560km². Few years later in 1989, it was decleared a biosphere reserve which now has over 10,500km² in total land area.
- The gulf of mannar of the laccadive is popular for being a place where there are lots of natural pearls. And people have been collecting pearls in this area for over 2000 years. Although it is very expensive to collect pearls, but the people are still doing it.
- There are several natural sea resources collected which are used for rituals ,and religious events. Shanka mollusks and shells from xancus pyrum are mostly used.
- Over 70% of the fishes caught from the laccadive sea are tuna. Sharks, rays, perch, halfbeaks, needlefish, sardines, ponyfish, mackerel, shrimp, squid, crab, deep sea lobster, and skates are the remaining fishes that have been caught from the laccadive sea.
- Around the laccadive sea, there are over 130 fishing villages in the gulf of mannar. The fishermen are over 35,000, while there are about 25,000 sea cucumber divers and roughly 10,000 women who collects sea weeds. The collection of sea weed dropped because the national park restricted it to some extent. But mostly the sea weed harvest and collection take place from the month of October to March.
Few questions you should test yourself on about laccadive sea.
Question: What is another name for the laccadive sea?
Answer: Lakshadweep sea.
Question: What are the major cities around laccadive sea?
Answer: Male, Quilon, Colombo, Trivandrum,
Question: What is the average temperature of the laccadive sea during summer and winter season?
Answer: 27 degrees during summer. 24 degrees during winter.
Question: How deep is the laccadive sea?
Answer: 13, 553 ft.
Question: The major occupation of the people living around the laccadive sea?
Answer: Fishing and collecting pearls.