Cats remain as one of the most popular pets around the world. Cats held a high status as far back as Egyptian times and were often mummified and buried in the same honor as humans.
Fun Cat Facts for Kids
- Cats are one of the most popular pets that we have.
- Cats have an amazing night vision and can see six times better than us mere humans.
- Cats cannot see in complete darkness
- Cats have claws which, can be used to help them catch prey.
- Baby cats (kittens) can purr when they are only two days old.
- The average cat can sleep between 16 and 18 hours a day.
- Cats can jump on average seven times it’s t height.
- A cat’s sense of smell is said to be 14 times greater than humans.
- When cats meet each other, they like to rub noses.
- They are very flexible which helps them to adopt in situations when hunting small animals like mice.
- Cats have been around a long time and the ancient Egyptian carvings will depict cats in them.
- A cat will live approximately 12 to 15 years.
- They like to keep clean and you will see them licking their coats all the time.
- There are approximately 600 million domestic cats around the world.
- The bond between humans and cats has been around for almost 10,000 years
- Cats have a flexible spine that allows them to ‘fall’ and twist so that they land on their feet.
- The flexibility of a cat’s body along with the design of their teeth allow them to be successful hunters of small animal such mice.
- Animals that are in groups often have names. If you see a group of cats, it is called a ‘clowder’.
- A male cat is called a tom, a female cat is called a queen or molly.
- The average weight of a domesticated cat is around 4 to 5 kilograms.
- The heaviest cat that was a domesticated cat is recorded at 21.297 kilograms (45 lb. 15.2 oz.)
- Cats are designed to be sneaky for hunting purposes. When they walk, the back paws can step in almost the exact same place as their forepaws previously did. This ability allows them to have low noise and reduces their tracks from being seen.
- Cats are nocturnal, which means they do best at hunting at night. They have excellent night vision. Their eyes can see light that is six times lower than a human would need to be able to see.
The cat has an incredibly sensitive ability for hearing and powerful sense of smell.
- As a cat gets older they sometimes become aggressive with younger kittens.
- Cats of all ages love to play and chase. As kittens, this type of play is practice for them as they learn their hunting and fighting skills.
- The average lifespan of a cat is from twelve to fifteen years.
- Cats are excellent when it comes to grooming and may spend a lot of their time cleaning their coats.
When a cat cleans their coat from licking it, they leave a bit of a chemical on the fur. When the chemical dries it becomes lighter than air and it is that chemical that causes an allergic reaction in some people, not ‘dandruff’ as is commonly thought.
In many parts of the United States there are programs that trap feral cats to take them in for checkups, shots and then to be neutered. Before they are returned to the wild one of their ears will be ‘clipped’. This is the universal sign that the feral cat has been neutered and checked.